SIGINT to bash behaves differently in rxvt as compared to console

I find on a Windows NT4 (SP6) platform with the latest versions (downloaded
today) of cygwin1.dll, rxvt, bash etc that if I run a windows command
script, say a.cmd, which in turn runs some other process (e.g. a pause), if
I hit ^C then the behaviour is different in rxvt as compared to the cygwin
console.

In the console, the process being run by the command script is always
interrupted and then sometimes the rest of the command script continues to
execute but sometimes it says 'Terminate batch job (Y/N)' in which case if I
answer 'Y' the whole command script stops.

In rxvt, the ^C returns me to a prompt but the process being run is not
interrupted and continues in the background.

What I'd really like is for the ^C to consistently abort the whole command
script.

Has anyone come across this and/or is able to offer advice/solutions ?

Duncan