Re: cygwin conflicting with seti@home on win2000

Petar,

Between Cygwin1.dll version 1.3.17 and 1.3.18, changes were made to the manner in which I/O to and from pipes is handled. It improved the behavior of some CD recording software. This had the unfortunate side-effect of introducing very long delays to pipe I/O whenever there was any CPU demand, regardless of how low a priority the CPU-demanding process or thread was assigned.

Preliminary reports from those using snapshots of the pre-1.3.19 release indicate the problem has been solved. In the mean-time, either shut down SETI@home, install 1.3.17 of the cygwin package, avoid using pipes in Cygwin or work on your patience.

Randall Schulz