RE: Bug in rm -r with locked files

Chris J.,

At 02:47 2003-01-23, Chris January wrote:
> It's not a completely intractable problem.  I think that someone (Chris
> January?) provided a workaround at one point.  "cygserver" could also
> provide a possible solution someday.

The best solution, IIRC, was to move the locked files elsewhere on the same
volume (which should be allowed) if they can't be unlinked, and then unlink
them later. So there would be a directory of files waiting to die if you
like :) Obviously you'd have to give them unique names, but you can just use
random numbers.

Again, I think this misses the point. While Windows sees the file as open (or a directory that is current for some process), it cannot be renamed, relocated or deleted, can it? I know very little about the Windows APIs, but the behavior I see from Windows strongly suggests this is the case. Is there some kind of override to these common "interlocks" that Windows imposes? Are they only strictly enforced in Windows Explorer?

Randall Schulz

Chris