RE: Cygwin 1.3.19 Windows 2000 Professional SP3 bash $home /usr/bin/%USERPROFILE%

At 04:20 PM 1/26/2003, Rolf Campbell wrote:
> [...]

I'm sure the (cygwin-apps) list would consider any contributed functionality
to address this concern.  I would, however, argue that the functionality you
suggest would not detect the fact that HOME was set by 'Dia Win32 Installer'
until the next time setup is run.  In my opinion, this makes the patch
less than optimal since it still generates inquiries to the list for help.
Unless it cuts down on list traffic, the added heuristics to try to figure
out if this (or any other) environment setting will interfere with the proper running of Cygwin is allot of complexity for little or no gain.  Also,
there's an implication in all this that setting HOME breaks bash or Cygwin.
It doesn't.  It merely tells bash to not use the home directory stated in
/etc/passwd as the user's home.  If you recheck David's original post, you'll
see this is true.  The three things David mentions, his prompt being too long
for his liking, his home directory being wrong, and HOME being set to the
wrong directory, are all the result of HOME being set but none of them are
bugs or even real problems (even the prompt issue is apparently just the
result of bash showing the path in the prompt by default, which is
configurable).  So, at the moment, I'm unconvinced that there is a problem
here that needs fixing in Cygwin.  If there is though and it requires
detecting when HOME set to something "inappropriate", I think someone will
need to define what is and isn't appropriate before any patch could be
considered.  But I'd suggest anyone that wants to pursue this issue further
start by defining an actual problem resulting from setting HOME (or any other
environment variable?)  That would form the best basis for any discussion
about how to address the problem.

Just my $.02.