Re: DOS <-> Bash interaction...

* Soren A (03-01-28 23:31 +0100)
> "lhall=AU7YxEODS6309vganRf5J0EOCMrvLtNR@public.gmane.org"
> <lhall@pop.ma.ultranet.com> wrote around 28 Jan 2003

Wow, what an attribution novel^Wline...

>> This issue isn't Cygwin specific, since setting of the SHELL
>> environament variable is handled by the shell itself.
>
>> As such, discussion of this is really off-topic for this list.
>
> Cygwin bash is a *port* of GNU bash to _Cygwin_. As I have
> previously written, this sort of discussion is IMNSHO *totally*
> ON-topic for Cygwin. There are many potential issues here that
> wouldn't come into play for bash users on a generic Unix platform.

No one doubts that these issues are on-topic /if they are specific to
the Cygwin port/.

> Furthermore, use of bash is assumed for most new users of Cygwin,
> some of whom will also be using a Unix-ish shell for the very first
> or nearly the very first time as part of their experiential
> introduction to Cygwin. If the intent is to exclude such users from
> Cygwin-usership,[...] then this is a very effective way of doing
> that.

So what. If you don't know how to use bash and are unable to help
yourself at the right places - don't use it.

,--- * http://cygwin.com/lists.html
| This  may seem like we're discouraging questions. Well, you are right.
| We  are  discouraging  repeat  questions. The Cygwin mailing list is a
| very  high volume list. Every question you send there will potentially
| be  read by thousands of people. Many people will sigh and shake their
| heads  when  they  see  the  same old question asked for the hundredth
| time.  Is  this  how  you  want  to  introduce  yourself to the Cygwin
| community? We think not.
`---

> "Don't offer any help with bash, reflexively condemn any raising of
> such Q's as OT, tell all posters to RTFM rather than discuss the
> finer points On-List" [...].

Those things found in a man page are not "finer points" - they're
considered basic knowledge. That's what man-pages are for! If you want
to discuss bash, subscribe to a bash mailing list.

> It would take less time to answer such questions (thus getting them
> into the Cygwin List archives)

...where they of course already are...

> than the total time you've put into telling other people what to
> discuss or not to discuss. I myself am not tired of stating my
> disagreement with this POV and the reasons why.

Your "disagreement" and "the reasons why" are irrelevant. If you
haven't read and agreed to...

,--- * http://cygwin.com/lists.html
| Finally,  make  sure  when you send a message to a Cygwin list that it
| actually  has  something  to  do with Cygwin. What do we mean by that?
| Well,  if  you  can't  install  the  Cygwin  C compiler, then that has
| something  to  do  with Cygwin. If you don't know C very well and need
| some pointers on writing a program, that really has nothing to do with
| Cygwin.  If  you  are  trying  to  run the Cygwin version of bash (the
| standard  UNIX  shell)  and  it  hangs,  then that's probably a Cygwin
| problem.  If  you  can't  figure  out how to set up a command alias in
| bash,  that's  not  a  Cygwin  question.  These  Cygwin  questions are
| considered  "on  topic".  The non-Cygwin questions are considered "off
| topic".
|
| Why do we make this distinction? For two reasons: 1) as mentioned, the
| email traffic is very high so, by keeping things "on topic" we can cut
| down  on some list traffic and 2) there are usually much better places
| on  the  Internet  where  you  can  get  definitive  answers  for your
| off-topic-for-cygwin   question.   It   doesn't   make  sense  to  ask
| non-experts to teach you about C or bash.
`---

...you shouldn't have subscribed in the first place!

>> I found a quick check of the bash man page and searching for SHELL
>> shed allot of light on the subject however. You might want to check
>> it out yourself.
>
> I think it owuld be a lot more interesting to discuss the manpage
> here.

"man bash" doesn't mention any Cygwin related, so this is off-topic.

Thorsten
--
 children under the age of 18