Re: cd'ing to /

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Virginia Mann wrote:

> I don't know whether this is a cygwin question or just a pure unix question.
> I don't know as much as I should about either one yet.
>
> My "/" is mounted at C:\cygwin, which is sensible. The FAQ warns us that
> making / point at C:\ is a bad idea.
>
> Unfortunately, when I type "cd" with no modifiers or "cd ~", it takes me to
> /cygdrive/c, which is C:\. So, my home for some reason is the root of the
> whole C: drive, which seems just as error prone to me as if "/" were there.
>
> I've installed Cygwin on two machines, and the first one made / (=C:\cygwin)
> my home directory. I don't know why this one gave me a different home (I
> thought I just accepted the defaults in both installations, but I may have
> been distracted and made a mistake), but I'd like to change it.
>
> How do I change my home to the Cygwin root?
> Thanks.

Virginia,

It is a Cygwin question.  Seems like your user was missing from
/etc/passwd (the home directory is assumed to be "/" in that case).  Edit
/etc/passwd and see if it's there.  If it's not, then, at a guess, you've
installed Cygwin as an Administrator while not connected to a domain
controller (could have been the user itself, but I seem to recall that
setup does the right thing if you're on cached credentials).  Run

$ mkpasswd -u YourUsername -d >> /etc/passwd

and see if it adds the right user.  Then log in as that user, and it
should create the correct home directory.  Details are in the FAQ.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune