RE: Problems with find

Ian,

At 06:49 2003-01-31, Ian R. Chesal wrote:
Your syntax is incorrect. Try:
No. Both Franz's and your syntaxes are acceptable. A backslash is equally useful for protecting the shell glob character '*' as is surrounding the argument (or just the asterisk) in single or double quotes.

Franz's problem was that when he use "ls" to show the files, he _didn't_ use an unquoted star (he didn't use a star at all), so ls showed only the file whose name appeared literally in its invocation.

Me may also have been confused about where the problem lay, think it was in "find" rather than "ls" (when in fact it was just plain old cockpit error).

Randall Schulz

    find . -name "1000*"

I just tried in in /tmp on my cygwin installation and here's the output:

    $ find . -name 1000* -o -name 1000.*
    ./1000
    ./1000/1000.zip
    ./1000.tar.gz

You can limit the find to just files or directories with the -type flag.
Do 'info find' to learn more. The way you had the expression written
each conditional was joined with an implicit -a (and) so that find would
only print if all three evaluated to true. You wanted a -o (or) between
each pattern but really you can accomplish what you want with a quoted
pattern, which IMHO is a more straight-forward way to look for what you
want.

Ian