Re: Re: gcc as strictly win32 compiler

-----Original Message-----
From: "Max Bowsher" <maxb@ukf.net>
To: <smcbride@jvbfinancial.com>, <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 19:26:12 -0000
Subject: Re: gcc as strictly win32 compiler

Sean McBride wrote:
>... as I understand it, cygwin.dll interprets many commands and
> uses MSVCRT.dll on the back end.  How do I create a redistributable
> for users without cygwin, and How badly does this hit performance?

Cygwin does not use msvcrt.dll. It uses newlib as its C library, which is
compiled into cygwin1.dll.
If you are not using any of the unix APIs, you may be interested in the
MinGW project (mingw.sf.net). Cygwin's gcc takes the -mno-cygwin option
which causes it to function as a MinGW compiler - i.e. the produced exes use
MSVCRT, not cygwin1.dll.
Newlib is not highly optimized, but certain "math library" functions in MSVCRT.dll are extremely slow on P4; if you use those functions, you may see a measurable performance loss with -mno-cygwin.  I doubt any valid generalizations could be made on performance.

Tim Prince