Ultra slow disk access and xterm memory failure

Hi all,

Firstofall, I'm completely ignorant of anything windoze
related,
but currently put into a completely *IX ignorant
environment,
so cygwin is my only hope.

I use cygwin (version of about April 2002, BTW how can I
get the Cygwin version number ?)
and tcsh v6.11.00 (cygwin version) for about half a year
now,
but about a month ago something changed:
When closing an xterm I get the following windoze error
message:

   "The instruction at "0x6106f3be" referenced memory at
"0x00000058".
    The memory could not be "read"."

This in itself is not alarming to me since after pushing
"OK" the message
and the xterm vanish. But since the same time my xemacs
(under XFree86)
went slooooooow whenever it accesses the disk, esp.
annoying when autosaving.

Also, any reactions from the Cygwin Window became slow at
that time.

I reduced the path to the necessary minimum(no network
disks, no redundancies),
assuming that some network disks are regularly accessed,
but to no avail;although
the problem gets better when cutting the network
connection, it does not disappear
completely.

I cannot say if something changed in the windoze
environment, which AFAIK may happen without my knowledge,
and I have no more clues on where my problem may originate.

Maybe some of you have experienced a similar behaviour and
may offer some more clues.

BTW. I'm not in a position to upgrade cygwin or any
packages myself, lacking access to important internet
protocols.

 Regards
 							Dieter Meinert