Re: Why the rash of people bypassing setup.exe to install?

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >> Ack.  I missed that fact.
> >>
> >> Don't send Gary email about this!  I'm sure he doesn't need it.
> >
> >Ooooops! Too late! ;-) Only kiddin' I'm sure that's not a worry. Perhaps
> >changing
> >
> >"Run this program any time you want to install a cygwin package."

> >"It is recommended that you use setup.exe whenever you want to install a
> >cygwin package. If you install or update packages manually, you are doing so
> >at your own risk."
> >
> >at the end of the third paragraph below "What's New and How Do I Get It?"...
>
> I don't think people are actually reading that paragraph at all, though.  I
> think that's part of the problem.

As a preventative measure, how about adding some embedded tags into the
cygwin.com home or install pages so that they'll have a higher hit-point
ratio for various search combinations.  Something like adding:

<!--
cygwin install cygwin install cygwin install cygwin install cygwin install
how to install cygwin how to install cygwin how to install cygwin
cygwin install cygwin install cygwin install cygwin install cygwin install
how to install cygwin how to install cygwin how to install cygwin
cygwin install cygwin install cygwin install cygwin install cygwin install
how to install cygwin how to install cygwin how to install cygwin
etc...
-->

The next time the various web crawlers inspect the page they might give a
larger weight to this page for the various word combinations.  Or have
web crawlers changed such that this doesn't work anymore?

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>