Re: Why the rash of people bypassing setup.exe to install?

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 12:15:05PM -0800, Peter A. Castro wrote:

> > I don't think people are actually reading that paragraph at all, though.  I
> > think that's part of the problem.
>
> As a preventative measure, how about adding some embedded tags into the
> cygwin.com home or install pages so that they'll have a higher hit-point
> ratio for various search combinations.  Something like adding:
>
> <!--
> cygwin install cygwin install cygwin install cygwin install cygwin install

> The next time the various web crawlers inspect the page they might give a
> larger weight to this page for the various word combinations.  Or have
> web crawlers changed such that this doesn't work anymore?

I think most people use Google these days, where this technique doesn't
work any more.  Instead, Google weighs pages by (among other things) counting
the number of links to that page, ie. the more people that link to a page with
the text "cygwin install" on it, the higher it will rank in Google.