Re: [Problem] mempcpy is missing? (FAQ alert)

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 08:22:49PM -0000, Max Bowsher wrote:
>bChristopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 12:35:56PM -0700, Roger Sayle wrote:
>>> I apologise if this is the wrong list to report bugs.  I have
>>> searched the archive and haven't been able to find a reference to
>>> mempcpy.
>>
>> As you have discovered, mempcpy is not provided.  If a configure
>> script detects it, the configure script is broken.
>
>As he said, his configure script correctly decides #undef HAVE_MEMPCPY
>
>But then the source tries to define its own replacement mempcpy - but it
>can't, because that clashes with Cygwin's headers. So this really is
>Cygwin's fault.

Um.  This is not the first time something like this has come up.  And it
won't be the last.  There are a number of things in newlib that are not
exported by cygwin.  The definition of mempcpy has apparently been in
the header since July of 2002.

It is trivial to export the function or protect the header but that is
besides the point.  The whole point of systems like configure is to
provide pain-free ways to work around system quirks.  So the best fix is
to modify the libintl source so that this isn't a problem for older
versions of cygwin (which we obviously can't fix retroactively) or other
hypothetical systems out there which may have similar problems.

So, the cygwin bug report is noted and appreciated.  We'll fix this
eventually.  However, the "correct" fix is to modify the configury
mechanism which trips up on this in libintl.

I guess I can't get by without giving the long answers to reports
like this...  We should add this to the FAQ.

cgf