RE: kudos!

> Gary,
>
> At 22:17 2003-02-15, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> >You know, I've been 'round these parts for a long time now, and I recall very
> >few instances of the "Cygwin sucks" type of messages you
> >describe.  Like one guy
> >in fact.  Yeah, I know it's meant in jest, but lordy, learn how to take a
> >compliment guys, sheesh.
>
> Then your memory is faulty. Too much fruit of the brewery?

Perhaps not enough ;-).  Gotta go with the new "Sam Light" or whatever they call
it though, I'm in training.

> Posts of
> which mine was a caricature are a regular feature. Evidently Chris
> thought so, too. I reviewed a few samples of the genre to get ideas on
> how to compose my own feeble attempt at humor.

"[...] that collectively show that the Cygwin engineers (so-called) know nothing
about security, Unix, Windows, C/C++ or probably even what a Turing machine is."

As I said, I've seen virtually none of this.  Plenty of "hmmm, Solaris does it
different, can somebody change it?" type stuff, very little "You guys are a
bunch of dumbasses" type stuff.  Maybe I'm not reading the right posts though, I
don't know.

> And I take exactly none of the compliment or gratitude as accruing to
> my benefit, so perhaps it was out of line for me to write what I did,
> but it was meant strictly as humor.

Hey, no accusations here.  It just strikes me as extremely odd that a one-line
"great job!" from a newcomer results in pages of sarcasm.  Yeah, I get it (other
than my point above), and it's funny even after the 687th time ;-), but he
won't.  I don't know, it just seems like strange behavior to me, like people
have this anger brewing in them about the list, about, as the great philosopher
Thomas Petty once put it, "silly little things that don't add up to nothin'".

Then again, welcome to cygwin@ ;-)!

> >At the risk of yet another torrent of sarcasm, I fully concur with
> >Alec. Cygwin ROCKS THE CASBAH!
>
> I sure hope I haven't given the impression that I feel otherwise. I
> talk Cygwin up a lot outside this forum.

Nononononono.  You help out a lot on the list.  Nobody's thinking you're not a
Cygwin booster.

> >Warts and all.  Everybody involved should be proud of what's been done
> >here.  In my work alone, you've directly contributed to saving untold
> >numbers of lives (we build heart diagnostic equipment).  Lord knows
> >what other great things Cygwin is enabling around the world.
>
> And the warts themselves become ever fewer and more negligible.

A-MEN brother Schulz, A-MEN!  Onward and upward!  Every day, and in every way,
it is getting better and better![1]

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.

[1] Extra credit for the first person who knows where this sentence was stolen
from ;-).