Re: arrow keys under mc via SSH with PuTTY

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> > > When I press down key, a 'B' charactor appears in the prompt line (the
> > > line with a '$' at the most left) and cursor bar doesn't move. And when
> > > I press up key, a 'A' appears instead. However, I still have some
> > > chances (about 1 out of 10 tries) to move the cursor bar successfully.
> >
> > Right and left cursor insert a 'C' and 'D'...
> >
> > > I have tried exporting TERM=linux, but the annoying A/B's still remains. :(
> > >
> > > If I use the cygwin.bat directly form the start menu and export
> > > TERM=linux, mc works very well.
>
> In this case, TERM should be set to "cygwin", though.  Setting it to
> "linux" doesn't make sense (yeah, I did that, too, once, but...)
>
> However, in case of using PuTTY, the question is, which terminal type
> is PuTTY emulating?  Is it actually "linux" or is it "vt100" or some
> other term?  You should find this in the PuTTY docs.  Set TERM to the
> appropriate value and you should be done.
>
> Corinna

I think PuTTY is behaving well. The problem lies somewhere in MC's key
handling code or in the recent changes to terminal io in Cygwin. I'll try
to see what I can do to track this down, *really*. In the meantime I'm
almost ready to release the new version of MC which doesn't have this
problem.