Re: Minimum Install for Executable Distrubution

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 05:38:19PM -0500, Charles Krug wrote:
>We've built the gcc/as/ld toolset as a cross compiler to the Altavec
>PowerPC.  We've been using it internally for a couple of weeks.
>
>Those of us with full developer Cygwin installations can run the program
>with no problems.
>
>We'd like to be able to distribute a minimal package to everyone here
>who needs the cross compile capability.
>
>Our first attempts seem to get confused about the correct paths to the
>executables.

Cygwin is a DLL.  That's all that you need for a program to run.  The
program and cygwin1.dll.  If you don't want to just use
/cygdrive/{a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,y,z} to
access your paths, then you need mount.exe to set up the mount table.
Once the mount table is set up you can delete mount.exe.

If you want to be able to kill processes, you need 'kill.exe'.
If you want to run shell scripts, you need 'bash.exe' or 'sh.exe'.
Are you going to use makefiles?  Then...

Apply some simple logic to the rest of the programs in the distribution.
Do you want to edit?  Well you probably need the whole vim package.
Do you want to use ssh to access other systems?  Then...

That's it.

cgf
(rocket surgeon)