Re: "hostname" takes 3.5 seconds

Niall,

This is not directly relevant, but it might hint at or suggest something you could investigate.

I found that when I enabled a new network device (a virtual network adaptor provided by VMware) that automatic dialing (usually in response to a DNS request) no longer caused the dial to be initiated immediately. Instead there's a delay of a few seconds before auto-dial is initiated.

So perhaps there's something about the configuration of network adaptors or your DNS settings that are causing this delay?

Realize that I don't know anything about how the system call(s) underlying the primary function of Cygwin's hostname command operate. However, if the call were unconditionally extracting local host name information there'd be no opportunity for a delay, right?

That brings up another thing. Are you invoking Cygwin hostname or Windows hostname? On Win2K, at least, both exist. On my system, both respond essentially immediately (I tested only with a dial-in connection active).

Randall Schulz