Re: Testsuite as a package (was: Re: Was that the sound of a snapshot going off?)

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 01:40:26PM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>1) Starting now I'm introducing a new policy regarding Cygwin list
>   acronyms: If the acronym used is known, I'll add it to the OLOCA (and
>   there is no need to expand it).  If it's a newly invented one, I won't
>   add it to the OLOCA until I see it also used by someone else at least
>   once.  This gratuitous invention of acronyms has got to stop (mostly
>   note to self, that one)! :-)
>2) The absense of copyright assignment does not prevent you from checking
>   out the winsup/tests directory (or, in fact, any cygwin cvs repository)
>   anonymously (<http://cygwin.com/cvs.html>).  There is no need for a
>   separate package...
>3) I believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that the testsuite is
>   run after most commits, and regressions are noticed right away, so your
>   proposal would be kind of redundant.  Besides, the testsuite doesn't
>   catch everything, and most reports on the list were not related to the
>   testsuite, but to real world applications.
>
>Mean enough? ;-)

Perfectly.  These were almost all of the points I was going to make
before I cleverly decided to see if someone had already made them.

A few extra observations:

You can't just run the testsuite on the installed version of cygwin.  It
is meant to be run against winsup/new-cygwin1.dll.  So how do you work around
that?  Extract the source into some directory, create a build directory, configure
it, and then

  cd i686-pc-cygwin/winsup
  cp /bin/cygwin1.dll cygwin/new-cygwin1.dll
  cp -p /lib/libcygwin.a cygwin/new-libcygwin.a
  cp -p /lib/libcygwin.a cygwin/libcygwin.a
  cd testsuite
  make check

However, as was pointed out, I, and others are already running the test suite.
I want to get real world testing since the test suite doesn't test everything.

cgf