Re: Advocacy

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >> I would prefer something without the word "DISCLAIMER" so that I
> >> could configure it to also remove non-disclaimer ads from certain
> >> parties (see below), but that wouldn't confuse other people I email
> >> too much if I left it on my signature permanently.
> >>
> >> =====
> >> --IGNORE-BELOW--
> >
> >Joshua,
> >
> >Unfortunately, people with company disclaimers would probably prefer
> >something without the word "IGNORE", lest they be misunderstood by
> >overeager company watchdogs...
>
> It almost seems like there is a good use for mime lurking here somewhere.
> Although I did say that we don't strip mime attachments, it is possible
> to turn this on.  If we had something like an X-mime-disclaimer type
> I could have the mailing list software strip that automatically.
>
> Then it would be up to the sender to figure out how to get the trailer
> to show up in the message.  Hmm.  Maybe not a good idea after all.

Yeah, I modeled the suggestion after MIME, but it seems most disclaimers
are appended automatically as part of the body of the message, so MIME is
no good...

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Habermann, David (DA) wrote:

> How about --End of signature--  or  --End of message-- ??

Yep, looks like we have a winner (proposed by 2 people independently)...
I suggest using "--end of message-- " (note the space), case-insensitive,
on a line by itself.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune