Re: Exception: STATUS_PRIVILEGED_INSTRUCTION occurs before main is executed.

> On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Bruce Adams [TEPG Sunbury] wrote:
>> I think it would be a great idea if the post setup phase did some
>> basic configure style checking (assuming it doesn't already).
>> i.e.
>>    Checking if the compiler gcc works.... No
>>
>> It would have saved me a couple of months of heartache.
>> I seems very strange that nobody else spotted it though.
>> How exactly could an installation become so corrupt that nothing
>> short of
>> a complete download (from a different mirror site) fixes it without
>> the underlying package being in error?

Somehow, it managed it, since there are lots of us who haven't done a clean
install for ages.

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> I'm reasonably sure that if you create such a post-install script, it
> will be at least thoughfully considered by the gcc maintainer...

Well, I'm not the gcc maintainer, but I'd be surprised if such a script was
accepted.
Here's why:

1) There is no (good) way for a postinstall script to talk to the user.

2) If the package was broken immediately after installation, then wouldn't
the maintainer have noticed before releasing it?

Max.