Re: Exception: STATUS_PRIVILEGED_INSTRUCTION occurs before main is executed.

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Max Bowsher wrote:

> > On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Bruce Adams [TEPG Sunbury] wrote:
> >> I think it would be a great idea if the post setup phase did some
> >> basic configure style checking (assuming it doesn't already).
> >> i.e.
> >>    Checking if the compiler gcc works.... No
> >>
> >> It would have saved me a couple of months of heartache.
> >> I seems very strange that nobody else spotted it though.
> >> How exactly could an installation become so corrupt that nothing
> >> short of
> >> a complete download (from a different mirror site) fixes it without
> >> the underlying package being in error?
>
> Somehow, it managed it, since there are lots of us who haven't done a clean
> install for ages.
>
> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > I'm reasonably sure that if you create such a post-install script, it
> > will be at least thoughfully considered by the gcc maintainer...
>
> Well, I'm not the gcc maintainer, but I'd be surprised if such a script was
> accepted.
> Here's why:
>
> 1) There is no (good) way for a postinstall script to talk to the user.
>
> 2) If the package was broken immediately after installation, then wouldn't
> the maintainer have noticed before releasing it?
>
> Max.

Umm, I guess I should have expanded on my thought a bit more:  There are a
couple of standard fixes (chmod -R a+rx comes to mind) being suggested
over and over on the list.  I realize that this is a kludge, but I meant
for the script to detect that gcc is not working and attempt to fix it
using one of those methods.  On reflection, this may not have been such a
good suggestion after all...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune