RE: >/dev/stderr broken in /bin/sh?, makewhatis unhappy, & apropos confused, or just me?

Linda,

Replies inline below.  Incidentally, why did your message arrive twice
from two different "From:" addresses?  And which should the replies go to?

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003, LA Walsh wrote:

> [...]

On Linux, /bin/sh == bash.

> Maybe Cygwin should be renamed "CyNUX": "Cygwin is Not
> Unix or Linux"? :-)

Pronounced "cynics"? ;-)

> I guess the author of 'makewhatis' didn't know this either.  Perhaps
> it's on enough systems.
>
> > 2) While it's acceptable to have a space in your home directory name or
> > the value of $TMP/$TEMP, some scripts cannot handle it (because they're
> > missing proper quoting).  My guess is that 'makewhatis' is one such...
> ----
>         "Acceptable"?  Gee...thanks.  Considering Windows comes that
> way  ...

Not necessarily.  On my system, I don't have a space in either my home
directory or in $TMP.  Remember, your %HOMEPATH% on Windows != your $HOME
in Cygwin unless you make it so.

If you're interested in fixing the quoting in makewhatis (and other
scripts), I have a few coding tricks that allow for proper quoting that I
could share.

> > Don't know about the apropos bit...
> >       Igor
> ---
>         So I take it that it doesn't give bogus output on your system...
> it's probably some file munged on my system somewhere...I'm alwayws
> messing something up ... always using things in ways they were
> never "intended" to be used...

It could be that I don't have certain manpages installed, as my apropos
returns simply "options: nothing appropriate"...
	Igor

				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/