Re: chmod not working on Win98

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Jason Tishler wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 09:34:36AM -0500, Jason Tishler wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 10:18:29PM +0800, Greg Matheson wrote:
> > > When I installed fetchmail-6.2.2.1, fetchmail started refusing to
> > > use my .fetchmailrc. I think the requirement that permissions be
> > > 600 on it is new.

> > No, I've been patching fetchmail to skip this permissions check due to
> > the following:

> >     http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#SEC44

> I just tried fetchmail after performing the following:

>     $ chmod 777 ~/.fetchmailrc

> and fetchmail started successfully.  So, AFAICT, my refreshed patch
> seems to be OK.  Maybe a different (i.e., new) check is failing?

The error I get is:

$ fetchmail
fetchmail: client/server protocol error while fetching from 140.126.111.5
fetchmail: Query status=4 (PROTOCOL)

When I comment out the # auth ssh section in my fetchmailrc, it
starts working again.

But the --auth ssh option on the command line fails with the following:

fetchmail: mailbox selection failed
fetchmail: client/server synchronization error while fetching from mail.chinmin.edu.tw
fetchmail: client/server protocol error while fetching from mail.chinmin.edu.tw
fetchmail: Query status=4 (PROTOCOL)

I can ssh into the shell account on the server.

--
Greg Matheson                    Teaching: leaving
Dr Bean's Penpal Pool            fingerprints over the tabula rasa.