Permissions problem

I'm running cygwin off of a network share so that students all over
campus
can run it without having to install it locally on each computer.  Each
users HOME directory is mapped to their My Documents folder.  I realize
this
is not a supported configuration, but I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Everything was working fine but at some point the scripts all lost the
execute permission setting, i.e.

 >  ls -l nice.exe nroff
-rwxr-xr-x    1 cyguser  cyggroup    25088 Jan  6 23:49 nice.exe
-rw-r--r--    1 cyguser  cyggroup     1955 Dec 16 12:03 nroff

As a consequence "man" no longer works (I get the "/usr/bin/nroff: not
found"
error message).

Searching the mailing list seems to indicate that I've got a permission
problem
when using "ntsec" security.  I've turned ntsec off and I still have the
same
problem however.

The mailing list also indicated that using "cacls" might help to point
out the
permission problem.  cacls doesn't seem to work on a network share
however.
All users have read and execute permission (NT permissions) on all
files.  But
this doesn't seem to map to UNIX style execute permission for scripts.

The User's Guide indicates I can find the NT permissions to Unix style
permission
mapping by looking in security.cc.  I looked but couldn't understand it.

Thanks for any help,
Tony Richardson