RE: cygwin 1.3.20-1 - strange problems with long command lines in nt4

Igor wrote:

>Matt,
>
>A virus checker *shouldn't* affect your command line length limit...
>Try running the offending command under strace, e.g.,
>
>strace -o echo.strace /usr/bin/echo ${PATH}${PATH}
>
>and look at the tail of the output.  That should give you a clue of where
>it's hanging.  If you're having a hard time reading the strace output, and
>if the output is not too large, you could post it here so other people
>could try to help you.
>	Igor

I did try an strace experiment... not very helpful I am afraid:

WILLISMA at toww5462 ~
$ strace -o foo.txt echo.exe ${PATH} > /dev/null; wc foo.txt
    408    4141   40604 foo.txt

WILLISMA at toww5462 ~
$ strace -o foo.txt echo.exe ${PATH}${PATH} > /dev/null; wc foo.txt
      0       0       0 foo.txt

Yesterday, in pre-rebase versions of cygwin I was able to get ls to hang;
whilst hanging I could see stuff like I described in

As of the latest rebase, I don't see hangs with ls.exe, I just get the
immediately-return-to-command-line effect.

Other observations:

If I launch cmd.exe as the shell, and manually put c:\cygwin\usr\bin and
c:\cygwin\bin on my path,

c:\cygwin\bin\ls.exe *               -- works fine; but I wonder if ls is
being passed "*" or a list of args
c:\cygwin\bin\echo.exe *             -- works fine
c:\cygwin\bin\echo.exe %PATH%        -- works fine
c:\cygwin\bin\echo.exe %PATH%%PATH%  -- fails, immediately returns to
command line