re[2]: Building a win32 python extension from cygwin?

 >>  Greg,

 >>  Note my experience building Win32 Python extensions is *very* limited.
 >>  It is mainly limited to building the readline module every year or so
 >>  when the next major version of Python is released...

 >>  BTW, you may have better luck on the Python or Distutils list.

 >>  On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 05:51:33PM -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:
 >>  > I want to use a python deployment program like installer to package it
 >>  > up so I don't have to install cygwin/python on all my servers.

 >>  What is "installer"?

A packaging solution that allows python apps to be deployed without having to deploy python itself.

http://www.mcmillan-inc.com/install1.html

I tried it in my cygwin env.  The process went smooth and I ended up with a single .exe file that supposedly would allow the app to install in any Win2K env.

Unfortunately the actual process of installing my app failed, and per

http://trixie.triqs.com/pipermail/installer/2003-March/000266.html

there is currently a compatibility issue between installer/cygwin/python.

BTW: Jason, you are mentioned as the cygwin/python expert who might be able to resolve the conflict.

 >>  > Unfortunately, installer is apparently broken for cygwin currently.

 >>  What is broken?

The above e-mail describes one problem.

My problem was that libpython2.2.dll could not be found in the specified path.

That does not make any sense because the exe was supposed to be self contained and not assume any pre-existing cygwin/python dlls.

I would have pursued this, but when I read the earlier e-mail, I just dropped the idea of using installer.

 >>  > Unfortunately the import command is not working due to the format of
 >>  > the dll I am generating.

 >>  Error messages?  Build command lines?

=====  From a freshly started python (win32 IDLE)
Python 2.2.2 (#37, Oct 14 2002, 17:02:34) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
IDLE 0.8 -- press F1 for help
>>> import _librsync
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in ?
    import _librsync
=====

If I try importing a totally non-existent dll, I get a different error message, so it is finding the dll.

==== With a non-existent dll
>>> import _asdf
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#1>", line 1, in ?
    import _asdf
ImportError: No module named _asdf
=====

 >>  > I've done a bunch of googling, but I can't find any straight forward
 >>  > instructions on what is needed for this to all work out.

 >>  I found the following via Google:

 >>  http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/82826
 >>  http://www.python.org/doc/current/inst/non-ms-compilers.html

I will look at those.  The first one looks like what I want.

 >>  Are you using the --compiler=mingw32 option?  For example:

 >>  $ python setup.py build --compiler=mingw32

No I wasn't.

 >>  > Does anyone know where this is documented?

Thanks