Re: Article about cygwin on UnixReview.com

*** Christopher Faylor (cgf at redhat dot com) wrote today:

CF> On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 01:38:56PM -0800, Eduardo Chappa wrote:
CF> >*** Corinna Vinschen (corinna-cygwin at cygwin dot com) wrote today:

CF> >CV> Yeah, we should probably ask him.
CF> >
CF> >Although I agree with this sentiment, I also feel that part of his
CF> >point was to make it very clear that cygwin is some type of Linux or
CF> >Unix, and everyone who knows how to build a package in Linux or Unix
CF> >can do the same in Cygwin, and I believe that this point is very
CF> >important for many people, so I wouldn't correct him that much.
CF>
CF> Um, I don't think that Corinna was suggesting that anyone should flame
CF> him.  The only correction I can think of is "lynx and wget are already
CF> available under cygwin."

Huh?, I did not suggest flaming anyone. I have no idea where you got that
idea from. I agree with your correction, though.

CF> However, if your premise is correct, then one would expect that lynx
CF> and wget might already exist in a linux distribution.

I never stated anything like this. Re-read above. I was just referring to
the fact that building packages is easy in cygwin, because one does not
need to learn anything new, and that point is done by the author of the
article, despite the fact that he's building a package that's already
present in the distribution. I never said anything about lynx or wget
being part of a linux distribution. How do you manage to read these things
from above? I'm really curious. It would help me a lot if you could
explain this to me.

CF>  Sure, it's nice to demonstrate that it is easy to build a new package
CF> under cygwin but implying that the distribution lacks simple things
CF> like wget or lynx isn't doing anyone any favors.  If you want to build
CF> something build something that isn't already in the distribution.

I agree with most of what you say, that should be corrected in the
article.

--
Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/