Apache under Cygwin

This may or may not be off topic.

Recently I switched from using Apache for Windows to using Apache for Cygwin. Things work fine except that the stability of Apache under Cygwin is flakey. What often appears to happen is that the web server is running along just fine and you can see a main httpd process running and a number of child processes under it. Then things get stuck and the server no longer responds. This is evident when you attempt to connect to the server and it just hangs. Other times it pops up with a server refused connection.

Using telnet <server> 80 will exhibit similar behavior in that sometimes it just connect and hangs and other times it quickly gives a connection refused message.

In playing with this I jump on the server and start killing the children and reattempting either a web page connect or a telnet connection. Usually before I kill all of the children the web server responds and all is fine. However, needless to say, this is not how I want my web server to be behaving.

So, anybody out there using Apache for Cygwin experiencing similar problems? Any ideas or solutions or debugging strategies?

(Also seem to see what Randall had mentioned about it sometimes taking a few seconds to start up a Perl script CGI page...).

Hmmm... Seems that this may have been touched on before at http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2002-11/msg00005.html but nobody has ever answered
Stipe's query. Another person also experienced similar problems and didn't get an answer either at http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2002-09/msg00841.html

My particulars: Windows XP SP, Cygwin 1.3.21-1, Apache 1.3.24.-5.