Problems configuring/building cross binutils on Cygwin

I'm attempting to build a tic54x cross-assembler/linker for operation on the latest Cygwin distribution under WinME. I've encountered a serious problem with the build process, and I'm stuck for a solution.

I'm attempting to build the source for the binutils package that I obtained from Cygwin (it lists the version number as 20030307-1). This source is stored in the "usr/src/binutils-20030307-1" directory. The build is being done under "/usr/build". I have installed Cygwin's precompiled binaries for the above binutils package, as well as for gcc-3.2-3.

The commands I'm running (from /usr/build) are:

/usr/src/binutils-20030307-1/configure --target=tic54x --prefix=/usr/local
make all

I've run this a dozen times, with various distributions of binutils.

The configure or make instruction (it varies depending on the distribution I use) freezes when it gets to the line:

Checking whether to build static libraries...yes

It stops on this instruction (every time), and does not do anything more. I've left the computer sitting on it for quite some time (approaching an hour) without any change. If I terminate the shell process running under sed, the configure continues, but (surprise) it fails during build, saying:

./libtool: Can't open ./libtool: No such file or directory

I confess I'm not very experienced with any form of Unix, so I suspect this is something very simple I've overlooked. I thought it may be a missing library, but my attempts to build glibc (for the native target) met with a similar fate, and the compiled and installed newlib-1.8.2 didn't seem to change anything. I've done my best to find the answer to this one in archives, FAQs, and assorted other documentation, but I haven't been able to sort it out (I've been trying for days now). I was able to build the aforementioned newlib for the native target without any problems.

I'm going to attach the last segment of the output from one of my configure attempts...the entire output is big, but if you need the whole thing, just let me know. Also, if you think I'd be better served going to another mailing list, just point me in that direction.

Thanks for your time,
Malcolm Wightman

LOG FOLLOWS
--several pages of material removed--
checking for working mmap... (cached) no
checking for working strncmp... (cached) yes
updating cache ../config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating testsuite/Makefile
creating config.h
config.h is unchanged
Configuring opcodes...
checking for Cygwin environment... (cached) yes
checking for mingw32 environment... (cached) no
checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking target system type... tic54x-unknown-coff
checking build system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O2 ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O2 ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... (cached) yes
checking for POSIXized ISC... no
checking for a BSD compatible install... (cached) /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) yes
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for ar... (cached) ar
checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
checking for ld used by GCC... (cached) /usr/i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld.exe
checking if the linker (/usr/i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld.exe) is GNU ld... (cached) yes
checking for /usr/i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld.exe option to reload object files... (cached) -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm... (cached) /usr/bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works... (cached) yes
checking how to recognise dependant libraries... (cached) file_magic file format pei*-i386(.*architecture: i386)?
checking for object suffix... (cached) o
checking for executable suffix... (cached) .exe
checking for ranlib... (cached) ranlib
checking for strip... (cached) strip
updating cache ../config.cache
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -DDLL_EXPORT -DPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -DDLL_EXPORT -DPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... yes
finding the maximum length of command line arguments... 196609
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions ... yes
checking whether the linker (/usr/i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld.exe) supports shared libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... Win32 ld.exe
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output... ok
checking if package supports dlls... no
checking whether to build shared libraries... no