Re: dumper.exe zero-length core files

Ok, sorry if I shell out two messages here, but I think I may have not done things right when I went to verify my initial email address for my first post. I posted hours ago, and it has yet to show up.

Anyway, add me to the list of people having this particular problem. Unforunately, I have no clue what to do about it either, but I just wanted it to be noted that more than two people are having this issue. I am running Win XP, and all of the problems you have specified are also present on my machine exactly as you wrote.

Mike Bresnahan wrote:
I'm having troubles getting dumper.exe to work.  I always get a zero-length
core file. I have the lastest stuff as of tonight, I have read the FAQ and
the man page, and I have searched the mailing list archive.  Any help would
be greatly apprieciated.

I am using:
    Windows 2000 SP3
    Cygwin 1.3.21

My CYGWIN environment variable is set thusly:

~/crash: echo $CYGWIN
nontsec error_start=C:\cygwin\bin\dumper.exe

I don't have core file sizes limited:

~/crash: ulimit -a
core file size        (blocks, -c) unlimited
data seg size         (kbytes, -d) unlimited
file size             (blocks, -f) unlimited
open files                    (-n) 256
pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 8
stack size            (kbytes, -s) 2047
cpu time             (seconds, -t) unlimited
max user processes            (-u) 63
virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) 2097152

I have the following test program:

~/crash: cat crash.c
int main( int argc, char *argv[]) {
    char *c = 0;
    c[0] = 6;
}

Which I compile like this:

~/crash: gcc -g crash.c

When I execute my test program I get the following output:

~/crash: ./a.exe
      5 [main] a 1944 handle_exceptions: Error while dumping state (probably
corrupted stack)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I also get a seperate cmd.exe window with the following contents:

  18653 [main] dumper 1716 handle_exceptions: Exception:
STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION

  19168 [main] dumper 1716 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
dumper.exe.stackdump

And I get the following files:

~/crash: ls -l
total 23
  21 -rwxr-xr-x    1 Administ None        20655 Mar 14 22:04 a.exe*
   0 -rw-r--r--    1 Administ None            0 Mar 14 22:04 a.exe.core
   1 -rw-r--r--    1 Administ None           69 Mar  2 11:34 crash.c
   1 -rw-r--r--    1 Administ None          298 Mar 14 22:04
dumper.exe.stackdump

For good measure I have attached the output of cygcheck -s -v -r.

As a final note, before upgrading to the latest stuff, I was getting no core
file at all nor a cmd.exe window.

Mike