RE: Added setup.exe to User's Guide

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail) wrote:

> > From: cygwin-owner at cygwin dot com [mailto:cygwin-owner at cygwin dot com]On Behalf
> > Of Joshua Daniel Franklin
> > On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 08:54:11PM +0100, Hannu E K Nevalainen
> > (garbage mail) wrote:
> > >  Suggestions for wording changes/expansion of the text.
> >
> > I believe most of your suggestions assume that the user has little or
> > no knowledge of Unix. I'm operating under the assumption that most new
> > users have knowledge of Unix and will already have run into things like
> > \r\n line endings, man, info, etc.
>
>  IMHO my suggestions adds just that *tiny bit* of extra info that makes a
> new user get the grip - without some of the FAQs.
>

> > > -- 8< --
> > >  Append something like the following to the paragraph:
> > > There are circumstances when it is useful to use the cache as
> > "local package
> > > directory" for installation on another system than the primary one.
> > > This is currently NOT directly supported by setup.exe, but can
> > be achieved
> > > in a number of ways.
> > > Information regarding this has yet to be gathered here. Currently it is
> > > spread out amongst the postings on the mailing lists, especially the
> > > "cygwin" list.
> >
> > Huh?
>
>  Hmm...?  Why so perplexed?
> I've gotten the impression that this isn't easily accomplished.
>
> > Install Cygwin on one machine. Copy the cache to a separate machine.
> > Install again. This will work fine, as long as you choose the same mirror.
>
>  First of all; those two lines belong on the web-page.
>  Second; setup.exe does not cover all situations.
>  Third; It involves loads of manual work, on more than a few machines.
>  Fourth; using a LAN -> high load when all machines has to be updated.
>
>  This has been discussed throughly here on the ML. With a slant towards the
> second; IMHO this needs to be mentioned, toghether with some kind of
> pointers to the postings - unless it can be summarised directly.
>

> I'm asking myself: Why do people insist on not telling about the possible
> ways
> to achieve this?
> IMHO this is like somebody telling you that there is no such thing as "free
> speech" unless you pay the license fee (Here: the bill for having high speed
> Internet). Simply put: _irritating_ >;-} .
>

> Arguments follow, feel free to skip to next comment.
>
> My experience of
>         - downloading MOST of the packages,
>         - creating a CDR of the cache
>         - and running setup.exe on it at home
> has learnt me that it really isn't that easy in every situation.
>
> The basis of it - is here:
> - It isn't that fun to download all of cygwin over 128k/ISDN (or slower),
>   you really need something faster than that.
> - Not everybody has ADSL++/flat rate/eons of time for plain downloads.
> - Please, also note: We have to pay in proportion to time, for beeing
> online,
> [...]

Hannu,

IIRC, the only gotcha about using setup's cache on a CD-R was to not put
it in the root of the CD-R (because of the way Windows omits the "\" from
the root path, and that confuses setup).  Placing the cache in a
subdirectory, say, "G:\cygwin" works perfectly fine.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune