Re: Determining the location of a Cygwin installation

> Tino Lange wrote:
>
> > This is not true! There's a trick: At least under >= Windows 2000 you
> > can just put 'cygpath.exe' (and its path) in your so called
> > "ApplicationPaths". This is a Registry location for several utils you
> > can just call by name - no more needed. Have a look at your:
> > "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App
> > Paths" When you start such an application it don't need to be in the
> > path of the machine.
> >
> > Solution:
> > Just put 'cygpath.exe' in your Application path - then you're able to
> > use it from everywhere on your machine. So you can find the CYGWIN
> > root with "cygpath -w /".
>
> While interesting there are two flaws here. Firstly, this down't work on
> all versions of Windows. Secondly, if I could get my users to set their
> "ApplicationPaths" I could as easily get them to set their PATHs. The
> real world situation is that this is not the case and neither PATH nore
> ApplicationPaths are set.

So how about using something like regtool, there are quite a few native
(non-Cygwin dependant) regtool alikes around. From there all you need to do
is check HKLM or HKCU. Or write your own custom implementation.

Regards,

Elfyn McBratney
elfyn at exposure dot org dot uk
www.exposure.org.uk