Re: Meaning of setegid() call in cygwin

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 08:22:03PM -0800, Vishal Jain wrote:
> Hi,
> setegid() changes the primary group information in the access token.
> How does it impact access control on windows?
> I guess my question really boils down to-
> How is primary group used by windows in access control?

It's part of the security descriptor.  Well..., yes, that's it.
Microsoft states e. g.:

Primary Group   The Primary Group field contains the SID for the owner's
                primary group. This information is used only by the POSIX
		subsystem and is ignored by the rest of Windows 2000.

But that's not entirely true.  It's used for instance also in file access
using NFS or Mac clients.

Corinna

Cygwin Developer                                mailto:cygwin at cygwin dot com
Red Hat, Inc.