Cygwin Newbie Question

Hi, I have installed Cygwin a few times over the past couple of days. For some reason, The /home and /dev directory, and the environment variables(eg. PATH)do not get set up properlly.

When I use startxwin.bat at least the PATH variable is set up. Also for some reason the .bash_history file is in my c:\ directory, even though I installed cygwin in c:\cygwin.

For now I have manually created the home directory and set the path.
I would appreciate any pointers on how to have the installation go smoothly/where it is possibly going wrong.

Dave