Re: command prompt window title

At 15:19 2003-03-31, you wrote:
On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> Anoop,
>
> At 11:38 2003-03-31, you wrote:

> >Anyway, after I run vi, the window title changes
> >to "vi <fname>" where <fname> is the file that
> >I'm editing.  When I quit vi, the title of the
> >window remains that way until I quit the window,
> >or I use vi again with another file, in which
> >case it changes to "vi <newfilename>".
>
> It sounds to me like there's a script or other intervening command
> definition handling your invocation of "vi."
>
> Please show us the output of "where vi" (assuming, as you state above,
> that you're using tcsh). If you're using BASH, then show us the output
> of "type -a vi".

> >Thanks,
> >-Anoop
>
> Randall Schulz

Randall,

Most likely there is no wrapper script.  This is an option of "vim"
itself.  In vim, "help title".
    Igor

Igor,

That explains why I could not find documentation for the "title / notitle" command when Thorsten mentioned it: I looked in the man and info documentation.

However, in my Cygwin Vim I cannot get a title to show even when I ":set titlestring=something" and ":set title". I tried suspending and resuming Vim, too, but still no title. Vim --version" does indicate that it was configured for "+title," so I'm uncertain what I'm doing wrong that keeps me from getting a title. Maybe it's being displaced through time and space to Anoop's system.

Randall Schulz