Re: ls Question + bug?

* Peter Davis (03-04-01 17:46 +0100)
>>> XP is the first rocksolid Windows OS.
>>
>> Hardly.
>>
>> NT 4 and 2000 have always been perfectly stable and reliable for me,
>> running for days and weeks on end without trouble. They have additional
>> (subjective) benefit of not having garish, cartoonish GUIs, though 2K
>> shows some tendencies. Fortunately, most of the silly stuff can be turned
>> off.
>
> NT4, 2000 and XP are all moderately stable, but none of them is what I
> would call "rock solid".

Me, too. I'd only call XP "rock solid".

> I've only had XP for less than a month, but I've hung the OS several times,
> and hung Explorer, which is really interesting.

I've been using XP since September 2001. I'm not using Explorer[1],
just SpeedCommander. If the Explorer hangs, I kill it and restart it
via Task Manager - doesn't hurt the OS.

> It's certainly possible to do this with NT and 2K also.

Easily.

Okay, let's kill this thread. It's becomming quite offtopic...

Thorsten

[1] Okay it's the shell, but not for specific things
--
 children under the age of 18