stdin/stdout handling

Hello,

I've been using the cywin package for a while but I am new to the list.
I have searched the FAQ and list archives prior to this post.  I am
looking for a clear explanation of how cygwin handles
stdin/stdout/stderr and why this seems incompatible with some non-cygnus
software packages such at NTEmacs.  For example, I've seen multiple
posts about the cygwin telnet not working with NTEmacs m-x telnet
command.  I've seen multiple posts about the "standard input is not a
tty" message when trying to run NTEmacs as emacs -nw from a cygwin
console.  I'm picking on NTEmacs but I've seen other examples as well.

There never seems to be a resolution to these posts but several
experienced posters will reply by saying the console handling is
incompatible or something to that effect.  Can someone explain why there
is an incompatibility?

Thanks
Steven Kilby

Steven Kilby
Lead, Programmer Analyst
Vision Solutions, Inc.

17911 Von Karman Ave,  5th Floor
Irvine, CA 92614
UNITED STATES

Tel: +1 (949) 660-7479
Fax: +1 (949) 225-0287
Email: skilby at visionsolutions dot com
<http://www.visionsolutions.com/>
Disclaimer - 4/2/2003
The contents of this e-mail (and any attachments) are confidential, may be privileged, and may contain copyright material of Vision Solutions, Inc. or third parties. You may only reproduce or distribute the material if you are expressly authorized by Vision Solutions to do so. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this e-mail (and any attachments) is unauthorized. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately delete it and any copies of it from your system and notify us via e-mail at helpdesk at visionsolutions dot com