Bug in Cygwin bash?

Hi folks,

I've found a bizarro error that may in fact relate to Cygwin/bash. I'm using the latest version (ran setup and refreshed just yesterday).

In the linux kernel configuration process, there is a rule in /linux-2.4.x/makefile that looks like this:

dep-files:
	scripts/mkdep -- `find .....` > .hdepend

The find command returns a huge list of header files, from which dependencies are derived.

After some digging I've found that it fails when the length of the string returned by `find...` exceeds about 32K characters. It doesn't seem to matter how many file names are returned, just the total length of the string that contains them all.

This may be a bug in the mkdep utility, but I suspect more that it might be a limitation in Cygwin or bash. Is there some fundamental limitation to the length of the argv[] array when launching programs under Cygwin/bash?

I created a workaround by doing

dep-files:
	rm -f .hdepend
	find .... | xargs scripts/mkdep -- >> .hdepend

But this means I need to patch over the standard linux build distribution before doing anything under Cygwin.

Can anyone confirm or deny?! :)

Cheers,

John