nano and TERM

Possibly this is a slight simplification, but broadly speaking is the
following an accurate description of things?

Assuming all necessary paths exist, Windows executables (fc, for instance;
can't find much else that's any use) can be called from within Cygwin; and
vice-versa (ls, md5sum, diff; any number of useful others). That's why find,
sort, etc can be problematic, if a user ends up calling the alternative
version to that required.

Lately (can't remember when it started) I've been unable to use nano from
outside Cygwin: I get a "Error opening terminal: cygwin" message. (On the
other hand, pico works fine.) Please can you tell me whether this is a minor
correct-able glitch in nano or whether there's a deeper problem (like, I've
misunderstood the dual-use principle described above).

Thank you.

Fergus