Re: nano and TERM

*** Igor Pechtchanski (pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu) wrote today:

IP> I'm not sure why pico works, possibly because it has an internal
IP> termcap entry for a dumb terminal and uses that when the
IP> terminfo/termcap database cannot be found.

Pico as built for cygwin uses the termcap entries found in /etc/termcap,
there's no internal termcap to it. Pico (for cygwin) does not use
terminfo. Nor does Pine. My experience as maintaner of Pico (and Pine) is
that Pine/Pico have less problems in terms of control of the screen when
termcap is used (as opposed to terminfo/curses/ncurses).

Pico defaults to some settings (row, colums) when it can not find them,
but advanced screen control is done by the termcap library.

--
Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/