RE: 1.3.22: TMPDIR Initialization

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003, Mark Moore wrote:

> Robert and Thorsten,
>
> It seems to me the need for the temp folder to be accessible for all users
> is a global requirement, not for any one particular package.
>
> It also seems like a problem you would want to solve once.  The worse
> possible situation would be a number of different packages solving this in
> incompatible ways.
>
> Is there a global/system wide postinstall script?  If so, could you point me
> in the right direction, and I'll take a look at what I think might be a good
> solution?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Mark,

There is no concept of a "system wide postinstall script".  All unexecuted
scripts after an install are run by setup.exe indiscriminately.  There are
packages that contain *only* postinstall scripts, each of which serves a
specific purpose (e.g, base-files, base-passwd, etc).  The way it is
ensured that the postinstall scripts from these packages are run before
some other scripts is by including them into the "requires" clause of the
relevant packages in setup.ini (since the new setup.exe runs postinstall
scripts in order of package dependences).  If you wish to provide a
postinstall script to fix the TMPDIR problem, it would belong either in
base-files or in a new package (which you yourself could create and
maintain).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II