Re: Problem with ls and similar commands in tcsh

> and have traced the "If: expression syntax" error to the lines
>
> if ( -r $HOME/.netrc ) then
>
> and
>
> if ( -f $HOME/.mh_profile && -x "`which folders`" ) then
>
> in /etc/profile.d/complete.tcsh

You will see this failure if your $HOME variable has spaces in it,
because the expressions as written above do not quote this variable
correctly. I would urge the tcsh maintainer to change the above lines
to:

if ( -r "$HOME/.netrc" ) then

and

if ( -f "$HOME/.mh_profile" && -x "`which folders`" ) then

I would also urge everyone to avoid spaces in "standard" env. vars such
as HOME and TEMP etc because many naive scripts (both bourne- and c-
varieties) will fail in similar circumstances. For example if you really
feel the need to have cygwin home dirs coincident with Windows home
dirs(I am not recommending this tho) you can do something like:

mount -s -b "c:/Documents and Settings" /home

and then make sure that HOME is /home/username

Regards,
Steven