Re: [EXTREMELY OFF-TOPIC] The sad state of cgf's exciting new laptop

[snip scam story]

That sucks dude.

PayPal started the clock running on getting my money back but, if it
wasn't too late by that time, it was when the clock finally ran out on
the investigation.  In fact, as far as I can tell, their system almost
guarantees that slimeballs can make off with their cash with a minimal
amount of effort when something like this happens.  They start an
investigation and then give the crook ten days to slowly gather his
belongings and get away.  Pfaugh.

So this "PayPal" benefits nobody but criminals? Nice.

So, I'm now out so much money that I'm almost physically ill.  It was money
that I'd been saving for a special birthday and now its gone.  And, I
have nobody to blame but myself.

Uh, no, you have nobody to blame but the crook who scammed you. The only blame you have in this is not watching "The X-Files" and learning something those who did learned long ago: Trust No One.

> I have been trying to explain to my
wife just how incredibly stupid I've been for a week and today I think
she finally got it.  She asked me "Why *were* you so stupid?" and I
didn't have an answer.

Well, my momma always told me, "Stupid is as stupid does." You could try that, see how that goes over. ;-)

[snip]

I'm off now to put in a bid for the Golden Gate bridge.  The seller is
named "notascammer" and he's got a 25% positive rating on eBay.  Sounds like
a sure thing...

Well, just to be sure, this time you better use one of those "escrow services" I've been hearing about in the news. I don't know much about them, but I'm sure this "notascammer" guy can recommend a reputable one. ;-)