Re: cron not working on 2003 Server

Jan-Peter Koopmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have several working cygwin installations but this problem is new
> to me. My cron is not working at all. Just as if the service was not
> running. Here is the crontab -l output:
>
> PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
> SHELL=/bin/sh
> MAILTO=root
>
> *       *       *       *       *       /usr/bin/echo bla
> >/home/Administrator/fasel.txt
>
> In /etc/passwd I renamed Administrator to root. Of course fasel.txt
> is never created. That would have been to easy. Cron is installed as
> a Windows Service and is running under SYSTEM. /home/Administrator is
> linked to /home/root
>
> /var/log/cron.log is not showing anything interesting:
> [3996] cron started
> [3600] cron started
> [3276] cron started
>
> One thing is funny though. Cron.log states the pid is 3276 but a ps
> - -efW | grep cron yields
>
> #       0    1516       0   ?  14:20:15 C:\cygwin\usr\sbin\cron.exe

I am not a cron user and can't help you directly but FWIW there has been
another report of problems with a service running as SYSTEM on Windows
server 2003.
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-04/msg00460.html>

It's not yet a widely used platform, so you may need to do some more
debugging. You may get ideas from the thread above.

Pierre