Re: cron + network share(w/ full access?)

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> Well, it's the way cron works.  Started from a privileged account
> and then it changes user context to the owner of the crontab files
> to start the applications.  And for cron it is known (and documented
> in /usr/doc/Cygwin/cron.README) that it should be started under SYSTEM.

Right, what you did is very natural.
However I am not sure that the initial setuid(18) in main.c is helpful
at all on Cygwin. Removing it (as you already did in crontab.c) would allow:
 1) Straight operation on Win9X
 2) Running as a non-privileged user (for a single user) as the originator
    of this thread wanted to do, to access shared drive.

> What's that problem with mkpasswd?  The system account is created already
> since October 2001.

Yes on NT, but never on Win9X.

> Anyway, I can change cron if it makes people happy...

Thanks Corinna.
>From recent threads it looks like that would make people happy :)

Pierre