RE: sshd install -- NO problems, but minor questions

Or even better, it would be nice if /etc/passwd and /etc/group did not need to exist at all.  Then they would not need to be kept in sync.  I'm not at all sure of all the ramifications of this, but it sure would make Cygwin security easier to use.

Mike Bresnahan
-----Original Message-----
From: cygwin-owner at cygwin dot com [mailto:cygwin-owner at cygwin dot com]On Behalf
Of Scott Prive
Sent: Friday, April 11, 2003 2:22 PM
To: cygwin at cygwin dot com
Subject: sshd install -- NO problems, but minor questions

Hi all,

I have sshd server running on a W2K domain controller (yay! :-)

I'll state what I did and follow with questions:
1) ssh-host-config (yes to all)
2) mkpasswd.exe -d>/etc/passwd
3)  mkgroup -d >/etc/passwd

I can now ssh in remotely as Admin. or a test user. Thank you Cygwin team!
:-D

Question 1:
Are there plans to automate/prompt-for steps 2 & 3 inside the
ssh-host-config  script? There is the issue of what user pool do you want,
local or domain. This is simple enough to run manually, but it leaves more
room for error.

Question 2:
Off-topic but related to Cygwin...
When one adds a new user to Windows, you must update your /etc/passwd file.
Is there was a way to make W2K run a script post-user creation, like some
sort of hook that can be exploited by a BAT or .sh script?

I realize GUI administration & integration is well beyond the Cygwin scope,
but my hope is someone in the audience knows of a project or technique for
integrating new NT users this way. I can put everything in a shell script
for creating users, but parity with the GUI would be sweet.

-Scott