Cygwin driving me crazy

Hi.
I am a Cygwin newbie. I used it three years ago, dropped it and
resumed it now. This time I am enjoying it a lot, except for one
problem that is really driving me up the walls.

It freezes at startup. In at least 5 or 6 out of every 10 times I
launch it (Bash or ZSH), an empty window is open forever, the shell
won't start. The only solution is to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del, kill bash or
zsh, then kill Winoldap then try again. Sometimes I have to try again
as many as 4, 5, 6 times until it works. I run Wintop to see what the
heck is going on, it seems that if I call bash with the .bat file
provided, other programs are run before, like tr and hostname, and
sometimes one or tow of these freeze. I prefer to call bash.exe or
zsh.exe directly, but they still freeze. I felt tempted to blame
rxvt, but even if I don't use it and call bash or zsh directly,
they'll freeze. Not always, but very often.

I blame Cygwin because although I didn't use Cygwin with that Unix
directory structure all these years, I've always had many GNU tools
in one single directory, and an old version of cygwin1.dll to
support them. I never had this problem until a few days ago, when I
installed almost all of Cygwin (minus graphics and devel), replacing
all the exes and cygwin1.dll with the latest versions. I used to call
bash.exe directly, it worked fine. Have you heard anything like that
before? Do you even suspect what could be wrong? I'm using Win 98 SE.

Many thanks,
Luciano ES
Santos, SP - Brasil