Re: chmod again

John Williams wrote:
Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc.) wrote:

Ah, this won't work.  You can't be running *any* Cygwin process when
setting this value.

OK I killed all cygwin processes, set the env variable via the control panel, and restarted the cygwin shell - same result.

Anything else I should try?

Well, a few but I can't guarantee anything. Type in the following and send the output here:

which chmod
cygcheck chmod

I tried 'ntea' here on 1.3.22 and it works fine for me on FAT (see below).
You can try replicating this yourself and see if it provides any insight
as to what's different there (beyond XP vs W2K - which is what I'm
running here).  /Floppy is just a mount point to a:.  That's the only
FAT partition I have that I was willing to sacrifice for this test. ;-)

D:\WINNT\SYSTEM32>set CYGWIN=ntea

D:\WINNT\SYSTEM32>d:\bin\bash.exe --login
lhall at lhall->cd /floppy
/floppy
lhall at lhall->ls
ls: EA DATA. SF: No such file or directory
DEBUG.LOG*    DLGDIAG.LOG  DLGSW1.EXE*   Dlgdiag.txt   msdevdde.reg
DLG1.LNK      DLGDIAG.PRE  DLGSW2.EXE*   Dlgli1.exe*   setConsole.reg
DLGCHBW.EXE*  DLGLICE.TXT  Dlgdiag.exe*  IomDisk.sys*
lhall at enterprise-e->ls -l
ls: EA DATA. SF: No such file or directory
total 334
-rwxrwxrwx    1 lhall    None         8764 Apr 14 23:36 DEBUG.LOG*
lhall at lhall->chmod 000 DEBUG.LOG
lhall at lhall->ls -l
ls: EA DATA. SF: No such file or directory
total 334
----------    1 lhall    None         8764 Apr 14 23:42 DEBUG.LOG
lhall at lhall->chmod 777 DEBUG.LOG
lhall at lhall->ls -l
ls: EA DATA. SF: No such file or directory
total 334
-rwxrwxrwx    1 lhall    None         8764 Apr 14 23:42 DEBUG.LOG*

If this doesn't help, you're quickest solution may be converting your
partition to NTFS and using ntsec.

-- Larry Hall lhall at rfk dot com RFK Partners, Inc. http://www.rfk.com 838 Washington Street (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office Holliston, MA 01746 (508) 893-9889 - FAX