Re: cron on Win9x works

"Luciano" <lucianoav at gmx dot net> wrote in message
news:Xns935AE4A876607lucianoavgmxnet at 80 dot 91 dot 224 dot 249 dot  dot  dot
> I read it again, but I am not sure I understand it. The hack proposed
> by BB him/herself

him

> rm -R -f /var/cron/tabs.sav
> cp -R /var/cron/tabs /var/cron/tabs.sav
> rm -R -f /var/cron/tabs
> mv /var/cron/tabs.sav /var/cron/tabs

cron compares the timestamp of it's 'old' database of tasks to the timestamp
of the /var/corn/tabs directory.  Assuming the all 4 steps (rm, cp, rm, mv)
worked, the newly created /var/cron/tabs should have a new timestamp.  Make
sure it is getting changed to a new time.

If a directory already exists when a mv is done to it, the directory will
not get a new timestamp.  For instance, if for some reason the third step
removing the /var/cron/tabs directory fails, the last step mv will not
update the timestamp.

I would think that this kludge should not be a long term solution.  A change
to cron should fix this problem.

Also, beware that if you are doing the 4 steps and the tabs directory does
not exist when cron checks for it, cron will terminate.

BB