Re: A request?

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 01:42:59PM -0700, Gord Wait wrote:
>I'm a satisfied customer of the cygwin tools, and appreciate all the
>effort put in to this free software package.  Thanks to cygwin I'm able
>to use most of the benefits of a unix developers environment (cvs,
>make, perl, rsh, ) on the windows network at work, for FPGA
>development.

Sorry but you are not a customer.  You're a user.  There is a subtle
difference.  Being a customer implies some seller/buyer relationship
which would entitle you to some kind of service from the seller.  Cygwin
is offered as-is to you with nothing guaranteed other than you get the
source.

>I would like to request that the cygwin "distribution" move towards a
>"versioned" release format, similar to how most linux distributions
>run.  Perhaps this is more of an educate the dumb user (me) question,
>but right now, it seems to me, if I tell my colleagues to go install
>cygwin, that we'll end up (over time) with each of us with slightly
>different versions of each of the parts of cygwin, as incremental
>improvements are made and released by the cygwin team.

This has come up before.  The basic problem is that no one is interested
in expending the time or resources involved in such an endeavor.  This
requires QA, release engineering, and maybe even developer committment.
We have no one onboard who is willing to do such a thing.

Or, if there is someone willing to do such a thing they have been
wery wery quiet.

>It would make for a much more consistent and manageable result if I
>could say - go install cygwin version "5.5" for example, much in the
>same way I can say, go install Slackware Linux 8.1
>
>If there is already a way I can cause a consistent installation for all
>my co-workers, I apologize, and point me in the right direction!

If you want predictable behavior, then you should probably burn a CD
and pass it around.

cgf