RE: A request?

> I'm a satisfied customer of the cygwin tools, and appreciate all the
effort
> put in to this free software package. Thanks to cygwin I'm able to use
most
> of the benefits of a unix developers environment (cvs, make, perl, rsh, )
on the
> windows network at work, for FPGA development.
>
> I would like to request that the cygwin "distribution" move towards a
"versioned"
> release format, similar to how most linux distributions run. Perhaps this
is more
> of an educate the dumb user (me) question, but right now, it seems to me,
if I tell
> my colleagues to go install cygwin, that we'll end up (over time) with
each of us
> with slightly different versions of each of the parts of cygwin, as
incremental
> improvements are made and released by the cygwin team.
>
> It would make for a much more consistent and manageable result if I could
say - go
> install cygwin version "5.5" for example, much in the same way I can say,
go
> install Slackware Linux 8.1
>
> If there is already a way I can cause a consistent installation for all my
> co-workers, I apologize, and point me in the right direction!

Well the versioned distribution thing has been discussed quite a few times
on the list (search the archives to be enlightened) and the general outcome
was that it would be too much work for us struggling maintainers. ;-)

It would require a lot of overseeing (also expenditures and resources from
somewhere) by some worthy soles to make sure that there was proper quality
assurance and such that you'd get from say a GNU/Linux distro.

The easiest way for you to do this would be to set-up an internal mirror and
keep your own distro...

Elfyn